The project is focused on mapping and monitoring commodity crop extent and expansion in South America. The anticipated deliverables of the project are:
- Annual maps of soy cover across South America;
- Soy cover 2000-forward to allow tracking indirect effects of soy expansion on deforestation and inform multi-stakeholder negotiations on soy sustainability
- Maps of corn cover across South America, updated twice a year: by end of May for primary season and and of July for second crop;
- Primary and secondary season corn as a driver of soy expansion and indicator of land use intensification;
- Soybean expansion alert system combining natural vegetation and high confidence new expansion of cropland and soybean.
Related project results: